Squeezeplay on Windows Mobile, Touch Skin
rudolf_j
2009-03-29 18:31:53 UTC
Hi,

I am working on a port of SqueezePlay to Windows Mobile. Today I
finally got it stable enough. Everything I tested, works (audio
playback stutters).
Main problem right now it does not play nice with other apps (redraws,
even if other apps are in the foreground etc.) start menu is hidden
etc. No software keyboard support.

Many of the subprojects were already prepared for Windows CE or were
unproblematic. Still it was a world of pain, to get everything to
compile and run, as Windows CE has a lot of quirks and limitations.

Most problematic was the memory consumption, as applications can
effectively use only about 20-24 MB of virtual memory (memory
fragmentation is a big problem). I had to extend SDL a lot to make it
run (the Surfaces are now RLE compressed downto 1/2 or even 1/10 of the
original size)

The build requires Visual Studio 2008 (I am using Professional) and
the
Windows Mobile 6 SDK and refresh, should build for WM5 as well).
I have created new project file to avoid conflicts with the Windows
builds.

If someone is interested I could send the patches.

One thing I noticed there is no suitable skin for touchscreen only
devices (I own a Touch HD), missing direction pad for the controller
skin, and not enough controls on the FullSCreenSkin (volume etc)
I would like to know, if there is maybe ongoing work in this
direction.
If not, I could need some help for designing a new skin, probably is a
lot of work.

Rudolf

--
rudolf_j
rudolf_j's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29177
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
dean blackketter
2009-03-30 04:07:27 UTC
Hi Rudolph,

Nice work! Please feel free to post the patches.

We hadn't really considered a WinMo port, would love to start a
discussion about it here...

-dean

funkstar
2009-03-30 09:44:46 UTC
I am very interested in a WinMob port :)

Excellent work so far Rudolf, sounds promising.

--
funkstar
funkstar's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2335
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
rudolf_j
2009-03-31 08:05:54 UTC
Hi,
here are the diffs.

Some comments. There are some changes to the LUA code, Lua on Windows
CE, does not like file end, without a CR or LF. I have switched of the
startup and close sound (use 1MB of memory).

There are ifdefs for all the new stuff. The Windows version still
builds, and an earlier version built on Linux, so hopefully I did not
break anything.

I have used some external libraries/code for the Windows CE port, but
they have permissive licenses.

There is README.WindowCE file with some hints for building. The main
solution is JiveWM.sln (uses a set of new projects, which are suffixed
with WM)

Rudolf

|Filename: SQ_WM.zip |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7196|

elziko
2009-04-08 13:17:55 UTC
This sounds like a fantastic idea, something I'm very interested in!

So I decided get the source of SqueezePlay and I can now run
SqueezePlay from VS2008 just fine.

So my next step is to apply your diff file and get your WM version up
and running. This is my first time using subversion and I chose
Tortoise as my clent.

When I try to apply your diff file, I first get two dialogs both
explaiing that the following files:

src\squeezeplay\share\applets\Playback\loadPriority.lua
src\squeezeplay\share\applets\Playback\loadPriority.lua

"is not under version control"

After that I get many dialogs explaining that "The patch seems
outdated!" giving details of the file and patch line.

Is this just as simple as I'm not applying the diff file to the correct
version?

I checked out the version located at:

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.3/trunk/squeezeplay

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the hard work!

--
elziko
elziko's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11835
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
elziko
2009-04-08 20:27:57 UTC
rudolf_j;413825 Wrote:
> Excellent!
> Which PDA/cell phone will you be using it on?

I have an HTC Touch Diamond. Thanks for the reply, I'll try again using
7.4 tomorrow.

elziko
2009-04-09 10:43:32 UTC
rudolf_j;413825 Wrote:
> the patch was against the 7.4 branch

Thanks, I have now managed to apply the diff file.

It probably worth mentioning now that the only WM development I have
ever done has been managed using the .NET Compact Framework - so most
of this is quite new to me. ;)

I opened your JiveWM solution and set 'squeezeplay' as the startup
project. When I try to run it I get a lot of error messages that all
seem to be in the SDK header files. I think the most important being:

> error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'PCONTEXT' in winnt.h from
> SDLmain & portaudio
> error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPCONTEXT' in winbase.h from
> SDLmain

I installed the refresh of the WM6 SDK so I'm pretty sure it's the
correct one. Any ideas? Am I missing something else?

Thanks!

rudolf_j
2009-04-09 11:03:26 UTC
elziko;414040 Wrote:
> Thanks, I have now managed to apply the diff file.
>
> It probably worth mentioning now that the only WM development I have
> ever done has been managed using the .NET Compact Framework - so most
> of this is quite new to me. ;)

I never did any WM development before, so you should be fine;)

> I opened your JiveWM solution and set 'squeezeplay' as the startup
> project. When I try to run it I get a lot of error messages that all
> seem to be in the SDK header files. I think the most important being:
>

> I installed the refresh of the WM6 SDK so I'm pretty sure it's the
> correct one. Any ideas? Am I missing something else?
>
> Thanks!

Sorry. I really had a lot of trouble with this error(wasted an hour or
more). I tried everything even changing the include files winnt/winbase
to make it work. I thought I had rolled back these changes and made a
clean solution with undef, but it seems I left some changes in my local
Visual
Studio installation. Again, sorry. Will check into that when I am at my
home machine.

Rudolf

elziko
2009-04-09 11:09:34 UTC
rudolf_j;414044 Wrote:
> I tried everything even changing the include files winnt/winbase to make
> it work. I thought I had rolled back these changes and made a clean
> solution with undef, but it seems I left some changes in my local
> Visual
> Studio installation. Again, sorry. Will check into that when I am at my
> home machine.

Surely the include files aren't under version control so your diff file
cannot have changed them?

Or are you saying that I need some versions of the header files that
you have edited yourself?

Either way, thanks for checking!

rudolf_j
2009-04-09 12:07:44 UTC
elziko;414046 Wrote:
> Surely the include files aren't under version control so your diff file
> cannot have changed them?
>
> Or are you saying that I need some versions of the header files that
> you have edited yourself?
>
> Either way, thanks for checking!

Exactly I temporarily changed the system include files in my Visual
Studio to track down the problem, of course I never wanted anyone to
make changes to their installation. So I will rollback the changed
system include file, and properly fix it.

Rudolf

rudolf_j
2009-04-09 17:12:38 UTC
elziko;414046 Wrote:
> Surely the include files aren't under version control so your diff file
> cannot have changed them?
>
> Or are you saying that I need some versions of the header files that
> you have edited yourself?
>
> Either way, thanks for checking!

Ok, I found the problem. In the preprocessor settings _ARM_ has to be
defined in the portaudio and SDLMain projects, I created a diff, as it
is against trunk, the project files are marked as complete new files.
Maybe manually adding the settings is easier.
But as a bonus I added a volume control button (and moved the now
playing toolbar to a fully visible location).

Rudolf

|Filename: pcontext.diff |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7238|

rheckly
2009-04-15 06:57:49 UTC
Hi
Im using HTC Touch HD - I'd like to have Squeezeplay on my mobile
running. How can I get your development running on my mobile?
Is there a setup version? What is the DIFF for?
Where can I download the windows mobile version?
Thank you very much for your answer
Roger

--
rheckly
rheckly's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=22131
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
rudolf_j
2009-04-15 10:08:54 UTC
rheckly;415543 Wrote:
> Hi
> Im using HTC Touch HD - I'd like to have Squeezeplay on my mobile
> running. How can I get your development running on my mobile?
> Is there a setup version? What is the DIFF for?
> Where can I download the windows mobile version?
> Thank you very much for your answer
> Roger

The windows mobile version is not done yet. For example I already
mentioned the user interface is not completely usable on devices,
without keyboard and direction pad like the Touch HD. That would need
some work.

Besides it is not allowed to distribute binaries. You would have to
build it yourself (you need to be familiar with Subversion, Visual C++
and Windows development in general).

Rudolf

elziko
2009-04-15 09:09:38 UTC
rudolf_j;414129 Wrote:
> In the preprocessor settings _ARM_ has to be defined in the portaudio
> and SDLMain projects

Thanks, I manually added the _ARM_ preprocessor definition and it now
seems to build OK.

Once it has been deployed to the emulator I also copied the fonts and
lua folder over from the Debug folder on my development machine to the
deployment folder on the emulator.

However, when I try and run squeezeplay.exe I just get the spinning
wait icon which then disappears. The executable is not listed as
running on the emulator.

So I also tried copying all the other DLLs I found in the debug folder
onto the device but that made no difference.

I feel I'm almost there! Any ideas?

Thanks!

rudolf_j
2009-04-15 09:58:27 UTC
elziko;415557 Wrote:
> Thanks, I manually added the _ARM_ preprocessor definition and it now
> seems to build OK.
>
> Once it has been deployed to the emulator I also copied the fonts and
> lua folder over from the Debug folder on my development machine to the
> deployment folder on the emulator.
>
> However, when I try and run squeezeplay.exe I just get the spinning
> wait icon which then disappears. The executable is not listed as
> running on the emulator.
>
> So I also tried copying all the other DLLs I found in the debug folder
> onto the device but that made no difference.
>
> I feel I'm almost there! Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Good!

I have configured it a way (in SDL_main.c), that it outputs debug
traces (which lua/dll files it loads) to the visual studio console in
debug mode. And into a file when in release mode

I would recommend starting it in debug mode from visual studio.
Or if not possible try the release executable and see where it stops.

It takes some time to start (I removed the splash screen), and in this
time it is not listed as running.

We are running slightly different machines, so there might still be a
incompatibility.

Rudolf

elziko
2009-04-15 11:01:11 UTC
rudolf_j;415564 Wrote:
> I have configured it a way (in SDL_main.c), that it outputs debug traces

Sorry, I should have noticed that... here's what I get...

rudolf_j;415564 Wrote:
> We are running slightly different machines, so there might still be a
> incompatibility.

Did you try deploying to the Windows Mobile 6 Classic Emulator? We
really ought to be seeing the same results if you have.

rudolf_j
2009-04-15 11:44:07 UTC
elziko;415577 Wrote:
> Sorry, I should have noticed that... here's what I get...

P (error loading module 'loop.collection.ObjectCache' from file
'\Program Files\squeezeplay\lua\loop\collection\ObjectCache. lua':
\Program Files\squeezeplay\lua\loop\collection\ObjectCache. lua:44: '='
expected near '›')

Hmm, that is annoying, subversion did not register this as a diff.
There was no line feed at the end of the file, LUa on Windows CE does
not like that.I do not know where to patch Lua, so I modified the
scripts.
So I added a line feed, you will have to that as well.

The other similar patches for the loadPriority.lua files seem to be ok,
because I additionally added comments

I always patch the source ( in this case
src\loop-2.2-alpha\loop\collection\ObjectCache.lua) and then copy it
over.

> Did you try deploying to the Windows Mobile 6 Classic Emulator? We
> really ought to be seeing the same results if you have.
Oh I forgot emulator. I was using the professional emulator because it
allows 480x640 (and this is what the FullScreenSkin is configured for
right now).

Rudolf

elziko
2009-04-15 14:37:21 UTC
I now have it working in the VGA Emu and my HTC Touch Diamond.

This is a great start - yes there are problems with the way it runs in
full screen when other apps get focus. I, too, get audio stuttering so
I wonder if perhaps the average Windows Mobile phone is even powerful
enough?

That said I'm impressed having it running at all! Well done!

If this could be eventually fixed up and made 'official' so we could
download a WM version alongside the others I'd be very happy.

My C++ & Lua skills are very rusty and non-existent respectively so I
don't know how much I could help. I'm happy to test though if you make
any changes. I haven't tried applying your second diff yet but will do
so soon.

rudolf_j
2009-04-16 16:56:28 UTC
elziko;415613 Wrote:
> I now have it working in the VGA Emu and my HTC Touch Diamond.
> That said I'm impressed having it running at all! Well done!

Excellent to hear. Thanks.

> This is a great start - yes there are problems with the way it runs in
> full screen when other apps get focus.

I spent some time on this, it is the major problem. Unfortunately I
found no way, to notice that the app is no longer in the foreground, a

message should be sent by Windows, but isnt (I debugged that).
Maybe I'll come up with some way.

> I, too, get audio stuttering so I wonder if perhaps the average
> Windows Mobile phone is even powerful enough?

No our phones are powerful enough (2.5 times faster than the
controller).
I haven't spent much time tuning the audio stuff, my main goal was
using my phone as an additional controller, the audio was a nice
bonus.

I have created a diff that might help (switched of some debugging and
increased the priority of the decode thread, apply in the
src/squeezeplay directory), please try if this helps.
I think it does (Playing with the variables defined at the top of the
decode.c might also help, but I do not what they mean). Main problem
still is, that scrolling text uses too much CPU time and causes
stuttering. There is a large delay before it starts playing and I think
there is big problem with a song repeating all the time.

> If this could be eventually fixed up and made 'official' so we could
> download a WM version alongside the others I'd be very happy.

Of course this is my goal, as well. I have tried to not break anything,
with my changes, still there are some changes (especially in the Lua
code), that would need some work. Would also require some help from the
developers, they probably have more important stuff to do (let's hope
one of them owns a Windows Mobile phone;)

> My C++ & Lua skills are very rusty and non-existent respectively so I
> don't know how much I could help. I'm happy to test though if you make
> any changes. I haven't tried applying your second diff yet but will do
> so soon.

I won't be doing much new development in the next months. Maybe a
couple of fixes.

Rudolf

|Filename: audio.patch |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7274|

lrossouw
2009-05-02 04:15:42 UTC
Hi guys

Very excited about this. I'd be a willing tester for this, but I can't
compile etc. (Lack skills and time).

Let me know if you have a CAB I can test it out.

Cheers
Louis

--
lrossouw

-* 'Recently Played on my Squeezebox 3s'
(http://www.last.fm/user/lrossouw/charts/?charttype=recenttracks) *-
lrossouw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3416
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
funkstar
2009-05-02 10:44:26 UTC
lrossouw;419833 Wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Very excited about this. I'd be a willing tester for this, but I can't
> compile etc. (Lack skills and time).
>
> Let me know if you have a CAB I can test it out.
>
> Cheers
> Louis
Unfortunately it will have to be Logitech that compile and distribute a
cab. Going by the licensing agreement for the source, a third party is
not allowed to compile and distribute SqeezeOS or SqueezePlay for any
other architecture. Nothing wrong with compiling yourself, you just
can't share binaries.

I guess this is a compromise between letting people hack about and
develop on the open nature of their products and someone coming along
and ripping them off for their own commercial gain.

Not ideal perhaps, but understandable.

--
funkstar

my collection:
*1*x boom
*2*x controller, *1*x receiver
*2*x sb3 (sliver/black, *1*x sb2 wired (silver), *1*x sb (black)
*1*x slimp3 (with rear shield)

interested in any others if you have them!
lrossouw
2009-05-11 08:22:21 UTC
funkstar;419895 Wrote:
> Unfortunately it will have to be Logitech that compile and distribute a
> cab. Going by the licensing agreement for the source, a third party is
> not allowed to compile and distribute SqeezeOS or SqueezePlay for any
> other architecture. Nothing wrong with compiling yourself, you just
> can't share binaries.
>
> I guess this is a compromise between letting people hack about and
> develop on the open nature of their products and someone coming along
> and ripping them off for their own commercial gain.
>
> Not ideal perhaps, but understandable.

That's a shame.

- How easy or difficult is it to compile?
- Can I compile it without buying any software?
- Are there instructions out there?

I had once managed to compile SqueezePlay for the PC using one of the
free Visual Studio Express compilers. If the process is similar I could
try it again?

elziko
2009-05-11 08:29:04 UTC
lrossouw;422333 Wrote:
> I had once managed to compile SqueezePlay for the PC using one of the
> free Visual Studio Express compilers.

I believe you need to install the Windows Mobile 6 SDK which, as I
understand it, doesn't support the Express editions of Visual Studio.

Otherwise if you can compile another version of SqueezePlay then all
the information you need for this version should be in this thread.

Philro
2009-05-13 07:00:02 UTC
Hi there,

i can't compile the WM version. I've got several Windows Mobile Devices
which i would use as controller (not as player).

I checked out the SVN and applied the Patch from the first site from
this thread. Now i've tried to compile this thing but i've got 49 Syntax
Errors in winnt.h (SDLmain) and in winbase.h (Portaudio). I tried
several revisions from the svn but got always the same errors.

I tried this with Visual Studio 2008 Professional and Windows Mobile
6.0 Professional SDK Refresh.

Anyone a Idea how i got this thing running?

Thanks Phil

--
Philro
Philro's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29397
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
elziko
2009-05-13 08:23:18 UTC
Philro;422891 Wrote:
> I checked out the SVN and applied the Patch from the first site from
> this thread. Now i've tried to compile this thing but i've got 49 Syntax
> Errors in winnt.h (SDLmain) and in winbase.h (Portaudio).

The answer to your question is in post 12 of this thread,
specifically:

rudolf_j
2009-05-03 09:04:28 UTC
lrossouw;419833 Wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Very excited about this. I'd be a willing tester for this, but I can't
> compile etc. (Lack skills and time).
>
> Let me know if you have a CAB I can test it out.
>
> Cheers
> Louis
Hi,
funkstar already explained why I cannot provide binaries. Besides there
currently is no CAB. The default installer provided in Visual Studio is
not suitable for such a large amount of files.

Besides Locuth wrote a Windows Mobile controller software:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62486

I had a quick look and it looks nice and works well. It is small, fast
and well integrated into Windows Mobile. So it is probably the better
option than the SqueezePlay port.

Rudolf

NikolajC
2009-05-09 08:50:54 UTC
While I support Locuths software 100% I think it's great idea to port
squeezeplay to WM too. The two use an entirely different approach and
would each have their own fanbase I'm sure.

--
NikolajC
NikolajC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18676
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
Philro
2009-05-13 09:46:16 UTC
Ok thanks for the hint, that has done the trick. But it won't start. The
Debugger tells me the following:

> Modul laden: squeezeplay.exe
> Modul laden: sqzlib1.dll
> Modul laden: sqlua.dll
> Modul laden: MMTimer.dll
> Modul laden: iphlpapi.dll
> Modul laden: WS2.dll
> Modul laden: coredll.dll.0409.MUI
> Modul laden: coredll.dll
> Modul laden: DDRAW.DLL
> Modul entladen: DDRAW.DLL
>
> Jive 7.4 r0
> ..\src\jive.c:210 DEBUG Setting up paths
> \Program Files\squeezeplay\squeezeplay.exe..\src\jive.c:249 DEBUG *
> Jive binary directory: \Program Files\squeezeplay
> ..\src\jive.c:281 DEBUG * Script directory: \Program Files\squeezeplay
> ..\src\jive.c:334 DEBUG * LUA_CPATH: .\?.dll;\Program
> Files\squeezeplay\?.dll;\Program Files\squeezeplay\loadall.dll;\Program
> Files\squeezeplay\sq?.dll;\Program
> Files\squeezeplay\../share/jive\sq?.dll;

> y\../share/jive\sqjive.dll')
> Jive: ./share/jive\sqjive.dll'
> stack traceback:
> [C 019ABFE0]: ?
> [C 0001A11C]: ?
> Modul entladen: iphlpapi.dll
> Modul entladen: WS2.dll
> Modul entladen: MMTimer.dll
> Modul entladen: sqlua.dll
> Modul entladen: sqzlib1.dll
> Das Programm "[0x57C0E5A6] squeezeplay.exe" wurde mit Code 1 (0x1)
> beendet.

Sorry this is the first time i compile for Windows Mobile.

Thanks Phil

elziko
2009-05-13 09:55:13 UTC
Philro;422927 Wrote:
> Ok thanks for the hint, that has done the trick. But it won't start.

Have you managed to compile the standard SqueezePlay for Windows? I
think that is a better start.

But looking at the compiler text the only thing I could think of is a
DirectX issue.

Do you have the DirectX SDK installed? Have you added definitions for
the DirectX 'Include' and 'Library' files in Visual Studio?

Philro
2009-05-13 10:03:48 UTC
Hi,

yes i compiled Squeezeplay for Windows and Linux and it runs fine.

The DirektX SDK is installed and i made the entrys for the include and
the Library files.

Phil

elziko
2009-05-13 10:08:12 UTC
Philro;422930 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes i compiled Squeezeplay for Windows and Linux and it runs fine.
>
> The DirektX SDK is installed and i made the entrys for the include and
> the Library files.
>
> Phil

Sorry but I don't think I can help much more. rudolf_j is much more
able to help. Maybe he'll be along soon!

Philro
2009-05-14 04:35:14 UTC
Hi there,

i managed it. I didn't copy the release folder into the squeezeplay
folder on the Device Emulator.

So now i've got the Problem the log tells me there is no Video Device
for 480x600. I use the Classic Emulator so i need an resolution of
240x320. The same resolution are all my PDA's. I've searched a bit but
found nothing where to rewrite this.

What i found, the Programm will test available resolutions on the
device and compare it to a table with resolutions. Is it possible
480x600 is the smallest resolution in this table? Where is the table
located?

Thanks
Phil

rudolf_j
2009-05-21 12:36:16 UTC
Philro;423148 Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i managed it. I didn't copy the release folder into the squeezeplay
> folder on the Device Emulator.
>
> So now i've got the Problem the log tells me there is no Video Device
> for 480x600. I use the Classic Emulator so i need an resolution of
> 240x320. The same resolution are all my PDA's. I've searched a bit but
> found nothing where to rewrite this.
>
> What i found, the Programm will test available resolutions on the
> device and compare it to a table with resolutions. Is it possible
> 480x600 is the smallest resolution in this table? Where is the table
> located?
>
> Thanks
> Phil

Hi,

sorry for the late answer. I was on vacation.

THe problem is that Squeezeplay chooses FullScreenSkin which I found
more appropriate for my 480x800 resolution. It has a minimum size of
480x640, this can be changed, but the fonts would be too large anyway. I
tried a simple solution, deleting the FullscreenSkin folder
(lua/applets/FullScreenSkin) it then uses the DefaultSkin. It starts
fine, unfortunately I cannot complete the setup, because the network
won't work on the classic emulator (strange, had not problems before).
Could you please, if this helps. There might be other problems with the
default skin (e.g.g problems with line endings in Lua files, that were
not used before)

Rudolf

Philro
2009-05-26 11:40:00 UTC
Hi there,

thanks for your answer. I tried it out and got it running on the
emulator. But not very nice... The screen doens't clears if i slide to
the next one and all is Black & White.

So now i've tried to got it running on one of my HP ipaqs. I added a
Cab install to the Projekt, clicked all the stuff in and compile it. Now
i got a Cab-File which i'm able to install on my Ipaq. But if i want to
start i got the following error:

"The Application is not signed or some of it's components are missing"

Did i have to make some Registry entrys?

Thanks

Phil

Philro
2009-05-27 10:11:46 UTC
Ok, one step closer...

My PDA is running Windows Mobile 5, and there is the problem.

I've tried to compile it for Windows Mobile 5 and got many many Errors!
Now i'd update my PDA to Windows Mobile 6. But i got the same error
Message. So same question again, any registry values or something?

thanks

rudolf_j
2009-05-27 16:55:45 UTC
Hi,

nice to see, that it is working at least partially for you as well:)

Philro;426987 Wrote:
> Ok, one step closer...
>
> I got it! I've overseen there are 2 Zlib.dll's.

Were they both called sqzlib? I did this renaming to avoid the dll
clash on WM (first loaded dll with the same name wins). Was an annoying
problem, maybe I overlooked something.

> In my Opinion the best solution would be got the FullscreenSkin
> running on devices < 480x600 resolution. Any hints or Ideas?

Locuths SlimControl is probably the best option.

> EDIT 2:
>
> Ok, i played a little bit with it. I changed the Skin to "Controller"
> and it looks realy nice!!!! But i cant controll it realy good. My C
> skills are realy low so i can't rewrite the input to be controlled by
> the 4 way pad of the PDA. The Touchscreen is realy fine and the size is
> big enough to be controlled trough fingers, but you cant write any text
> and you can't go back in the Menu.
>
> Phil
I assumed that, so I never tried to make the controller skin work on my
phone (I have no navigation buttons).
Changing the fullscreen skin is possible, but a lot of work. Changing
of the font sizes in FullscreenSkinApplet.lua would already help, but
the paddings and the icons might be too large making the interface
unusable.

I have hard coded the resolution in the patch
(FullscreenSkinApplet.lua):
You could try changing it to the lower resolution. My dev environment
unfortunately is still broken, I cannot try it myself.

Code:
--------------------

function skin(self, s, reload, useDefaultSize)
local screenWidth, screenHeight = Framework:getScreenSize()

-- if screenWidth < 800 or screenHeight < 600 then
screenWidth = 480
screenHeight = 640
-- end

--------------------

Philro;426987 Wrote:

> So now i've tried to got it running on one of my HP ipaqs. I added a
> Cab install to the Projekt, clicked all the stuff in and compile it. Now
> i got a Cab-File which i'm able to install on my Ipaq. But if i want to
> start i got the following error:

Does your install include the lua and font files as well? As said
before I did not manage to do that. I would be interested in the
installer script (is it the visual studio installer?).

Rudolf

Philro
2009-05-28 04:54:19 UTC
Hi There

> Were they both called sqzlib? I did this renaming to avoid the dll
> clash on WM (first loaded dll with the same name wins). Was an annoying
> problem, maybe I overlooked something.

No you don't. The first one called sqzlib1.dll, the second one
zlib1.dll. But the sqzlib1.dll is not copied to the Release directory,
thats the reason i've overseen it.

> I assumed that, so I never tried to make the controller skin work on my
> phone (I have no navigation buttons).
> Changing the fullscreen skin is possible, but a lot of work. Changing
> of the font sizes in FullscreenSkinApplet.lua would already help, but
> the paddings and the icons might be too large making the interface
> unusable.

Could you please tell me where i have to change the paddings? The icons
should no problem to resize.

> Does your install include the lua and font files as well? As said
> before I did not manage to do that. I would be interested in the
> installer script (is it the visual studio installer?).

Yes, it's the visual studio installer. It's all in except the lua
folder cause there are many files with the same name. You have to use
the cabwiz.exe from the WM 6 SDK cause the cabwiz from Visual Studio
2008 is corrupt. It can't handle folders with more than 267 entrys
regardless of which type (Files, Folders). With the cabwiz from the WM 6
SDK this error is fixed.

At the moment you could install the cab and after that copy the lua
folder on the Device. I'm searching a solution for this problem after i
got the Fullscreen Skin up and running.

Phil

rudolf_j
2009-05-28 06:19:46 UTC
Philro;427277 Wrote:

> No you don't. The first one called sqzlib1.dll, the second one
> zlib1.dll. But the sqzlib1.dll is not copied to the Release directory,
> thats the reason i've overseen it.

Oh, the zlib project has its own build directory, that is is confusing
indeed.

Philro;427277 Wrote:

> Could you please tell me where i have to change the paddings? The icons
> should no problem to resize.

Here is a selection of places you would need to change (there is a lot
more). It is in FullscreenSkinApplet.lua(everything concerning layout
is located in this file)

Code:
--------------------

local TITLE_FONT_SIZE = 52
local ALBUMMENU_FONT_SIZE = 32
local TEXTMENU_FONT_SIZE = 48
local TRACK_FONT_SIZE = 32
local TEXTAREA_FONT_SIZE = 32
local TEXTINPUT_FONT_SIZE = 32
local TEXTINPUT_SELECTED_FONT_SIZE = 48

s.iconTime.x = screenWidth + 10
s.iconTime.y = screenHeight + 10
s.iconTime.h = 34

s.menu = {}
s.menu.padding = { 4, 2, 4, 2 }
-> s.menu.itemHeight = 72
s.menu.fg = {0xbb, 0xbb, 0xbb }
s.menu.font = _boldfont(400)

-- menu item
s.item = {}
s.item.order = { "text", "icon" }
s.item.padding = { 10, 10, 6, 6 }
s.item.text = {}
s.item.text.padding = { 50, 10, 20, 0 }
s.item.text.align = "left"

s.volumeGroup = {}
s.volumeGroup.border = { 16, 5, 100, 10 }

s.volumePopup = {}
s.volumePopup.x = 50
s.volumePopup.y = screenHeight - 150
s.volumePopup.w = screenWidth - (s.volumePopup.x * 2)
s.volumePopup.h = 150
s.volumePopup.bgImg = helpBox
s.volumePopup.title = {}
s.volumePopup.title.border = 10
s.volumePopup.title.fg = TEXT_COLOR
s.volumePopup.title.font = _boldfont(28)
s.volumePopup.title.align = "center"
s.volumePopup.title.bgImg = false

s.nowplayingitem.text.fg = TEXT_COLOR
s.nowplayingitem.text.sh = TEXT_SH_COLOR
s.nowplayingitem.icon = {}
s.nowplayingitem.icon.w = 156
s.nowplayingitem.icon.h = 156
s.nowplayingitem.icon.align = "left"
--FIXME, this path likely needs changing
s.nowplayingitem.icon.img = _loadImage(self, "menu_album_noartwork_125.png")
s.nowplayingitem.icon.padding = { 5, 0, 0, 0 }

--------------------

THe most important are the s.item sizes (most lists derive from them).
And the ssnp stuff (now playing screen).
Philro;427277 Wrote:

> Yes, it's the visual studio installer. It's all in except the lua
> folder cause there are many files with the same name.
>
> At the moment you could install the cab and after that copy the lua
> folder on the Device. I'm searching a solution for this problem after i
> got the Fullscreen Skin up and running.
>
> Phil
Ok, the Lua folder still a problem, too bad. I was thinking of
installing a zip and then unpacking it on the device. But that is also
not easy to get it working.

Rudolf

Philro
2009-05-28 07:06:51 UTC
Hi,

> Here is a selection of places you would need to change (there is a lot
> more). It is in FullscreenSkinApplet.lua(everything concerning layout is
> located in this file)

thanks, i will have a look an this today.

> Ok, the Lua folder still a problem, too bad. I was thinking of
> installing a zip and then unpacking it on the device. But that is also
> not easy to get it working.

I've got the same idea with the zip file. But until now no Idea how to
solve this. But i think this should be not the Problem. If we get it
managed to get the FullscreenSkin running the setup should be a little
tiny thing. ;-)

Phil

elziko
2009-05-28 12:04:01 UTC
Philro, I was wondering if you have managed to get audio playback
working well?

Philro
2009-05-28 12:01:47 UTC
Hi,

so i played a little bit with the Values in the FullScreenApplet and
got a Skin i could controll very well. But i've got some questions.

1. Where could i change the size of the artwork in the "now playing"
screen? I didn't found anything, so the artwork is Fullscreen at the
moment.

2. Where could i change the size of the artwork in the popup which
appears if a new song is played?

3. The exit button don't got any function. I think this one had to be
written in C.

4. We need somebody who will write de function of the nav-pad. The most
Windows Mobile Devices got this pad and it would be very nice and much
faster to controll it with the pad and not only trough the touchscreen.

Anything else got a little bit of tuning from mine until its fine. If
all is fine i will try to release a Diff File (never done befor).

Philro
2009-05-29 08:33:36 UTC
Hi there,

the current status:

I tuned a little bit and got a realy nice interface which could be
controlled trough finger.

The resize of the Album Artwork in the now playing screen doesnt work
until now, i didn't find the settings. The placeholder works fine....

The Exit Button doesn't work

Text input doesn't work (I think this is the biggest stuff to rewrite)

The list of Interprets isnt sorted.

Phil

rudolf_j
2009-05-29 18:41:24 UTC
Philro;427619 Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> the current status:
>
> I tuned a little bit and got a realy nice interface which could be
> controlled trough finger.

Nice! How is the speed?

> The resize of the Album Artwork in the now playing screen doesnt work
> until now, i didn't find the settings. The placeholder works fine....

Ok strange, I assumed it would be governed by this setting.

s.nowplayingitem.icon.w = 156
s.nowplayingitem.icon.h = 156

> The Exit Button doesn't work

Yes I lived with that problem for a long while. In the beginning it did
not matter, as the app would crash after a couple of minutes;)

I looked into that right now, does not seem to be a problem of the
Windows Mobile port, it does not work in Windows either. I did not
understand the intended logic (somewhere an event flag is getting lost).
So I made a small workaround probably not a clean solution but it seems
to work. (directory lua/applets/Quit/)

Code:
--------------------

Index: QuitMeta.lua
--- QuitMeta.lua (revision 5275)
+++ QuitMeta.lua (working copy)
@@ -19,6 +19,7 @@
local oo = require("loop.simple")

local AppletMeta = require("jive.AppletMeta")
+local Framework = require("jive.ui.Framework")

local appletManager = appletManager
local jiveMain = jiveMain
@@ -49,6 +50,8 @@
-- disconnect from Player/SqueezeCenter
appletManager:callService("disconnectPlayer")

+ Framework:quit()
+
return (EVENT_CONSUME | EVENT_QUIT)
end,
weight = 1000,

--------------------

> Text input doesn't work (I think this is the biggest stuff to rewrite)

I originally hoped, the CE keyboard would be usable, but unfortunately
that is not easy to do with SDL.

In general, do you have problems switching from Squeezeplay to other
applications, on the Touch I have to close SqueezePlay. I really tried a
lot, but could not find a clean solution.

> The list of Interprets isnt sorted.

Works for me, maybe it is one of your SqueezeCenter settings?

Rudolf

Philro
2009-06-02 08:21:28 UTC
Hi there,

thanks for the exit function, i will give it a try today.

The resize of the Album Artwork is working now. The settings are in the
Meta not in the Applet File.

I will have an eye on my settings, thanks for the hint.

2 other things. Why did you disable the splashscreen? And on the Forum
i found an thread with screenshots. There is a line at the bottom with
time an playlist functions (shuffle....) I didn't got this whole line.
Had you disable this also or is this a error?

Thanks
Phil

Philro
2009-06-02 09:23:12 UTC
Here are some screenshots.

i've tried to make a Diff, but it doens't work (i didn't make this ever
befor)

There is a thick line at the top of the screen, i didn't find where its
size is defined. And the scrollbar needs a little bit of tuning again.

|Filename: Screen05.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7515|

NikolajC
2009-06-02 20:05:32 UTC
Excellent work Philro - I look forward to test this at some point! Keep
it up.

rudolf_j
2009-06-06 17:05:21 UTC
Philro;428655 Wrote:
> Hi there,
> Here are some screenshots.

Nice. So you are from Germany as well ?

> There is a thick line at the top of the screen, i didn't find where its
> size is defined. And the scrollbar needs a little bit of tuning again.

The titlebars and scrollbars are images, consisting of upto 9 tiles.

Code:
--------------------

tl|t|tr
-------
l |c|r
-------
bl|b|br

--------------------

The problem with titlebox it is using tiles that are 20 pixels high.
The ones in the main directory
applets\FullscreenSkin\images\titlebox_*.png would be a better match for
your screen size.
The images are defined in FullscreenSkinApplet.java:

Code:
--------------------

titlebox_tl.png
local titleBox =
Tile:loadTiles({
imgpath .. "Screen_Formats/Titlebar/titlebar.png",
imgpath .. "Screen_Formats/Titlebar/titlebar_tl.png",

--------------------

Changing that should help.

> Why did you disable the splashscreen? And on the Forum i found an
> thread with screenshots.

Memory was a big problem, the startup sound uses 0.5 MB, the image

Rudolf

lrossouw
2009-07-25 04:28:08 UTC
I'd be willing to test, but can't compile as I don't have any of the dev
tools.

Let me know if a compiled version becomes available.

Aguida
2009-08-11 14:29:34 UTC
How is this going? Is there a version available to do some testing?
Thanks

--
Aguida
Aguida's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9285
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
prefab
2009-08-31 19:03:42 UTC
Any chance some of you guys that have working versions of Squeezeplay
for Windows Mobile share it with the compiler-challenged crowd ? thanks

cheers
prefab

--
prefab
prefab's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=28113
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
Locuth
2009-09-01 10:36:34 UTC
prefab;453483 Wrote:
> Any chance some of you guys that have working versions of Squeezeplay
> for Windows Mobile share it with the compiler-challenged crowd ? thanks
>
> cheers
> prefab

It was mentioned two pages back and I know from reliable sources that
Logitech does not allow compiled/packaged Squeezeplay apps to be
re-distributed.

That's a real bummer.

--
Locuth

Use your PDA/Phone as SqueezeBox remote -- http://sc.sciatec.de
Locuth's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29693
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
prefab
2009-09-01 13:06:26 UTC
Locuth;453627 Wrote:
> It was mentioned two pages back and I know from reliable sources that
> Logitech does not allow compiled/packaged Squeezeplay apps to be
> re-distributed.thanks for pointing that out Locuth, I missed that post. I will make a
request in the beginners forum.

Cheers.

Heimiko
2009-11-12 14:05:07 UTC
Can any of you guys share a recent diff file so I can try to compile a
recent version of SqueezePlay? (please mention the version nr against
what version the diff is made)

Are there any intentions at all that there will be a pre-compiled WM
version?

thanks!!

--
Heimiko

Transporter -> Shanling SP-80C -> Dynaudio Audience 122
___ &#9492;---------------------------> BK Monolith
Heimiko's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3462
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
webfish
2009-11-18 11:34:54 UTC
Hi just wondering how this was going any
updates what is the status

can i help.
is it worth while setting up a site for this endeavour?
mobile squeeze over HSDPA(3g) is my goal in mp3 players

thanks davidk

--
webfish
webfish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17822
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
rudolf_j
2009-11-22 17:50:06 UTC
HI

webfish;486736 Wrote:
> Hi just wondering how this was going any
> updates what is the status
>
> can i help.
> is it worth while setting up a site for this endeavour?
> mobile squeeze over HSDPA(3g) is my goal in mp3 players

I spent quite some time on the major issues, but haven't made any real
progress.

- Integrating it better with windows mobile: There seems to be no
way to make a SDL (the underlying Graphics API) app behave like a
normal application, it is only usable as a fullscreen app, it does not
even notice, when it is sent to the background. SDL has only minimal
support for WM, so unlikely that something will change soon.

- Memory problems: Squeezeplay memory usage is really close to the
memory limit on WM right now(and I had to do a lot of patching SDL and
Jive, to bring it down to the current level). Major obstacles are that
there a log of images used and the text handling (the text is drawn
to a bitmap first and then blitted). Windows Mobile 7 will lift the
memory limit, but it probably will be a while before it is released.

- Audio Stuttering: I tried a lot of things, played with the
buffering, used assembly in the time critical parts, nothing really
helped. As soon as there is drawing /scrolling going on, the audio
can't keep up. So using WM as Softsqueeze is not really an option
right now, newer devices might be better in this regard.

Of course when I heard about the new Squeezebox Touch I was excited to
have the new GUI running on Windows Mobile.
It looked nice, but it was incredibly slow , the memory problems were
much worse, because there are more icons, more text etc.
I tried optimizing memory and speed, but gave up after a while.

Heimiko;484554 Wrote:
> Can any of you guys share a recent diff file so I can try to compile a
> recent version of SqueezePlay? (please mention the version
> nr against what version the diff is made)
>
> Are there any intentions at all that there will be a pre-compiled WM
> version?

I will make a new patch against trunk of 7.5. It is compiling already
but does not run yet. I do not know how long I will need to fix the
problems.

So if anyone wants to have a go at the code. I won't do much work
anymore, but I can help, if anyone has questions or for some small bug
fixes.

When I started the port, it was fun, but after a while, it was too
frustrating hitting so many problems in WM or SDL. At the time, there
was no usable WM application for controlling the Squeezebox, now there
is SlimControl. Besides now I have an IPhone, and it is hard to beat
IPeng;)

Rudolf

rudolf_j
2009-11-24 21:47:24 UTC
Hi,

I made a patch against the trunk of 7.5
(https://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src).
The generated directory(required by libmad) is not included, see the
instructions in the libmad directory how to download them, you have to
apply the libmad.patch after this (the patch including libmad would have
been to large for an attachment, and I guess the license requirement
would not allow it either)

It looks and works pretty good. The speed is pretty nice, no comparison
to the last build I tried (was a while ago).
Memory consumption was pretty bad, but I found a way to use some memory
outside of the 32MB slot (VirtualAlloc, the documentation is really
crappy, so I did not see that solution before).
Now the two sound buffers (3 MB each) are outside, this gives
SqueezePlay some room to breathe. There are still possibilities for
optimization as some bitmaps (e.g. for the VUMeters) are huge. Best ways
probably would be to remove them, I haven't done this yet.

The sound output is really good now, I did not here any stuttering. I
guess there was some optimization done for the touch and it helped a
lot.

You will probably encounter some of the problems already mentioned in
this thread (I tried to fix most of them). And there are new ones, like
missing files, just ask, I can help.

Rudolf

|Filename: libmad.patch |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8763|

elziko
2009-12-02 11:09:48 UTC
rudolf_j;488898 Wrote:
> The sound output is really good now, I did not here any stuttering. I
> guess there was some optimization done for the touch and it helped a
> lot.

Wow, great effort - now that audio playback is working I have to try
this again!

I have got 7.5 from SVN and I'm able to build the standard desktop
solution just fine.

Then I applied your patch which seemed succesful but i am now having
problems opening and bulding the WM solution.

It is unable to load the following projects because they are missing:

socket_WM.vcproj
mime_WM.vcproj

The solution is then unable to load wcelibcex.vcproj because:

> The following error has occurred during XML parsing:
>
> File: D:\Documents\Visual Studio
> 2008\Projects\SqueezePlay\wcelibcex-1.0\msvc80\wcelibcex_lib.vcproj
> Line: 41
> Column: 4
> Error Message:
> Property sheet file '.\wcelibcex.vsprops' was not found or failed to
> load.
> The file 'D:\Documents\Visual Studio
> 2008\Projects\SqueezePlay\wcelibcex-1.0\msvc80\wcelibcex_lib.vcproj' has
> failed to load.

If I then try to build the solution I get 63 errors made up of the
following errors repeated multiple times:

> Error 1 fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '..\src\time_ce.c':
> No such file or directory c1 lua
> Error 2 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'jconfig.h': No
> such file or directory d:\documents\visual studio
> 2008\projects\squeezeplay\jpeg-6b\jinclude.h 20 libjpeg
> Error 25 fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\..\windows
> mobile 6 professional sdk (armv4i)\debug\sqlua.lib' json json

Thanks so much for all your effor and if you can help me to get this up
and running I'd be very grateful!

rudolf_j
2009-12-02 20:54:03 UTC
elziko;491581 Wrote:
> Wow, great effort - now that audio playback is working I have to try
> this again!
>
> I have got 7.5 from SVN and I'm able to build the standard desktop
> solution just fine.
>
> Then I applied your patch which seemed succesful but i am now having
> problems opening and bulding the WM solution.
>
> It is unable to load the following projects because they are missing:

SOrry, missed some files again (because of the change of branch, I had
to add all my new files to SVN again)

THis one should work now, made a test run on a fresh checkout.

Lyf

|Filename: wm75_1202.zip |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8807|

elziko
2009-12-03 14:15:22 UTC
rudolf_j;491731 Wrote:
> THis one should work now, made a test run on a fresh checkout.

I've had much better success with this one. However I still get this
one error message:

> Error 1 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sys/types.h': No
> such file or directory d:\Documents\Visual Studio
> 2008\Projects\squeezeplay\generated\libmad-0.15.1b\decoder.c 29 libmad

So just to see what would happen I commented out the following code:

> # ifdef HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
> # include <sys/types.h>
> # endif

...I'm not sure if that was a good idea but at least the project builds
now. When running on an emulator I got an error and then remembered that
I had to copy over the lua & fonts folders. However there is not enough
room in the emulator. How do you manage to use the emulator?

In the absence of the emulator I managed to setup VS to deploy to the
storage card of my HTC Touch Diamond where I had enough room for the lua
& fonts folders as well as the executable. However, I get the same error
when VS tried to start the program:

> Unable to start program '\Internal Storage\Program
> Files\squeezeplay\squeezeplay.exe'.
>
> An error occurred that usually indicates a corrupt installation (code
> 0x8007007e). If the problem persists, repair your Visual Studio
> installation via 'Add or Remove Programs' in Control Panel.

Any ideas? Thanks!

rudolf_j
2009-12-03 19:07:38 UTC
elziko;491958 Wrote:
> I've had much better success with this one. However I still get this one
> error message:
> So just to see what would happen I commented out the following code:
>

> ...I'm not sure if that was a good idea but at least the project builds
> now. When running on an emulator I got an error and then remembered that
> I had to copy over the lua & fonts folders. However there is not enough
> room in the emulator. How do you manage to use the emulator?

I do not use the emulator anymore it sometimes hangs when deleting
large
directories etc. It might be possible to use the shared folder for
that?
Do you use the 6.1 Professional Emulator?

Concerning the error, if it compiles now, that's ok.

> In the absence of the emulator I managed to setup VS to deploy to the
> storage card of my HTC Touch Diamond where I had enough room for the lua
> & fonts folders as well as the executable. However, I get the same error
> when VS tried to start the program:
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!

The usual mistake the clean build I tested was not as clean as I
thought.
The sqzlib.dll was not deployed (this error always means, some dll
missing).
Because it was not set to deploy in the configuration manager.

I made a patch that includes the new JiveWM.sln (please delete the
previous one). I added some fixes in Lua (the usual end of line fixes),
the patch ignored them, now I added a comment at the end, that should
work fine.

Rudolf

|Filename: fixzlib.patch |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8814|

elziko
2009-12-04 09:30:20 UTC
rudolf_j;492029 Wrote:
> I made a patch that includes the new JiveWM.sln (please delete the
> previous one). I added some fixes in Lua (the usual end of line fixes),
> the patch ignored them, now I added a comment at the end, that should
> work fine.

I deleted the SLN file and then applied your patch - unfortunatly I
still get the same error message.

I also noticed that in the solution properties that wcelibcex_lib was
not set to build or deploy. So I checked both of those boxes but I am
still getting the same error.

Apart from the lua & fonts folders what files should I end up with on
my device after deployment? I am only getting the squeezeplay.exe file.

To deploy on my device I simply replaced "%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%" with
"\Internal Storage\Program Files\" for the Remote Executable and the
Remote Directory in the squeezeplay project. The remote paths for all
other projects have been left as they were. I'm wondering if I am just
not deploying this correctly.

Thanks

rudolf_j
2009-12-04 18:04:52 UTC
elziko;492204 Wrote:
> I deleted the SLN file and then applied your patch - unfortunatly I
> still get the same error message.
>
> I also noticed that in the solution properties that wcelibcex_lib was
> not set to build or deploy. So I checked both of those boxes but I am
> still getting the same error.
>

> Apart from the lua & fonts folders what files should I end up with on
> my device after deployment? I am only getting the squeezeplay.exe file.

squeezplay.exe,
sqlua.dll,sqsocket.dll,sqlfs.dll,sqjson.dll,sqmime.dll,sqzlib1.dll (show
all must be enabled of course.
wcelibcex is just a static library it does not need to be deployed.

> To deploy on my device I simply replaced "%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%" with
> "\Internal Storage\Program Files\" for the Remote Executable and the
> Remote Directory in the squeezeplay project. The remote paths for all
> other projects have been left as they were. I'm wondering if I am just
> not deploying this correctly.

You have to change the path of all DLLs as well (see above) (for debug
and release). I guess this is the problem.

Careful with the zlib1 configuration, they are named differently, if
you change from debug to release it stays the same.
The deploy property of the Configuration Manager is saved in the
zlibWM.vcproj it seems, did not help to send a new jiveWM.sln, sorry.

Rudolf

elziko
2009-12-05 14:40:38 UTC
rudolf_j;492339 Wrote:
> You have to change the path of all DLLs as well (see above) (for debug
> and release). I guess this is the problem.

OK, I am now deploying all the files you quoted to my device. However,
I still get the spinning icon on my device for a second before it just
disappears - nothing happens after that. No error dialog coming from
Visual Studio itself.

A good sign is that I am now getting some information in the Immediate
Windows, but not much:

> Squeezeplay 7.4 r0
> \Internal Storage\Program Files\SqueezePlay\squeezeplay.exeJive:

Perhaps I'm getting closer. :)

rudolf_j
2009-12-06 12:51:42 UTC
elziko;492531 Wrote:
> OK, I am now deploying all the files you quoted to my device. However, I
> still get the spinning icon on my device for a second before it just
> disappears - nothing happens after that. No error dialog coming from
> Visual Studio itself.
>
> A good sign is that I am now getting some information in the Immediate
> Windows, but not much:
>

> Perhaps I'm getting closer. :)

SOmething is wrong with either the lua path. Does you squeezeplay
directory contain a lua subdirectory?

You might check the path, by inserting a printf in
(squeezeplay\src\)jive.c

Code:
--------------------

// set lua path
printf(" LUA_PATH: %s\n", lua_tostring(L, 0));
p = lua_tostring(L, -1);
luaL_pushresult(&b);
lua_setfield(L, -2, "path");

--------------------

Lyf

elziko
2009-12-07 13:03:55 UTC
rudolf_j;492764 Wrote:
> SOmething is wrong with the lua path.

It turns out that when I copied the Lua directory to me device one of
the files got corrupted or missed. Recopying the folder over now means
that SqueezePlay does start - great! :)

Now I am able to connect to my local SB Server just fine - however once
I have done so the "Select Player" item from the home menu gets removed
so I am unable to use the WM SqueezePlay as the player to control.

So I tried to miss out the setup and go directly to the settings menu
where I enabled the beta playback. Since I haven't connected to the
server the "Select Payer" menu item is still visible. Unfortunatly this
doesn't offer me the WM Squeeze Player as a player to connect to.

So although I have it running I haven't been able to get it to do any
playback.

Another problem is remote library - the library I'm connecting to is
just a test server. The real one I want to connect to is over the
internet but the WM SqueezePlay will not allow me to continue after
entering an IP address.

Now that I can see it running I have been tantalised! :) I'm not sure
if you have any advice on these matters though now I have it up and
running. Perhaps they are general SqueezePlay issues rather then WM
issues?

Thanks!

Philro
2009-12-08 19:58:35 UTC
Hi there,

i'm back again. Sorry but work needs all my time the last months.

Today i compiled the current state. It's fantastic! It runs really
really fine on Windows Mobile. So much more better than 7.4. But some
stuff to do until it can replace controller.

I've got a Problem, hope you could help. I could start things up and
choose Language. It finds my Server an all Players like a charm. After I
choose my Player i've got a message all is configured and now im able to
browse my libary. But when i press finish nothin happen. 100 timed
pressed didn't change it. :-)

But, the screensaver works. If i leave my PDA alone at the finish
screen the screensaver begins to work and show me the cover of the
current song playern on the specified player. So any Ideas why i can't
finish the "start assistent" ?

Greets
Phil

elziko
2009-12-08 21:22:07 UTC
Hi Philro,

when you say you were able to choose your player, were you able to
choose the SqueezePlay player running on your Windows Mobile as the
target player?

Also, have you tried connecting to a remote library rather than one on
your local network?

I don't seem to be able to do either and was wondering if it was just
me. If it is I may try redownloading the source an reapplying all the
patches.

Thanks!

elziko
2009-12-08 21:33:37 UTC
Philro;493569 Wrote:
> But when i press finish nothin happen.

I think I also had this issue - pressing AND HOLDING the left hardware
key on my phone took me back to the home menu - is this what you were
wanting?

elziko
2009-12-08 21:37:50 UTC
I have now tried with my real server but on the local netowork rather
than connecting remotely.

The first issue is that I can enter a username but once I have finished
entering the password nothing happens - a bit like when I was entering
the IP address for the remote server.

After removing password protection from my real server I was able to
connect and this time I still had the "Choose Player" menu item - my
real server is v7.4 rather than v.7.5 so this may be the reason.

Unfortunately, although I can see the list of all the players I own it
does not include my WM SqueezePlay even though I have enabled beta audio
playback. I'll continue to play with it though.

lrossouw
2009-12-09 05:20:22 UTC
SqueezePlay on the PC does not support password protected servers. I
assume the same problem carries over to the compiled version for WM.

Vote for this bug:https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14477

--
lrossouw

'Last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/lrossouw)
Philro
2009-12-09 05:33:48 UTC
Hi,

thats exactly the Problem I've got. I tried to connect to my local
running SqueezeboxServer 7.4 and got all the Players running. The WM
Squeeze isn't in the list. I choose a Player and got the Screen which
tolds me all is ready now to browse my libary and then nothing happen. I
tried all Hardware Keys for short and long press but nothing.

I played yesterday evening a little bit with it and got another issue.
If the sceensaver is active and i press the "Enter" hardware Button i've
got the Playlist. If i run things on the Visual Studio Emulator i've got
the same function on the right Hardware Key. So perhaps the Button
mapping doesn't function well?

The issue with the "assistend finish" screen appears also in the
emulator.

Greets Phil

Philro
2009-12-09 09:33:37 UTC
Hi

i checkedout an older Rev(8175) cause its from the date you had written
it worked. But same Problem with this Rev. So i tried the 8202 from
today morning. Same Problem. Here is the Debug Log from Visual Studio
until the Point where the issue appears. Allways i press the finish
Button i've got the same Message

Code:
--------------------

1260383388.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings: SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old file: The operation completed successfully.

--------------------

And here the full Log:
<code>
1260383246.000 INFO squeezeplay.ui.draw - jiveL_initSDL:180 240,320
16 bits/pixel 2 bytes/pixel [R<<11 G<<5 B<<0]
1260383246.000 INFO squeezeplay.ui.draw - jiveL_initSDL:181 Hardware
acceleration is not available
1260383247.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :91 User Path:
\temp\SqueezePlay/userpath
1260383257.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
DesktopJive
1260383257.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
DesktopJive
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383257.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupSoundEffects
1260383258.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
Shortcuts
1260383258.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
AboutJive
1260383258.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
AlarmSnooze
1260383258.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
BlankScreen
1260383258.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Bounce
1260383259.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
ChooseMusicSource
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Clock
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
CustomizeHomeMenu
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
DebugSkin
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
DebugTouch
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
Experiments
1260383260.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
FullscreenSkin
1260383261.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: HttpAuth
1260383263.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
ImageViewer
1260383263.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
InfoBrowser
1260383263.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Invaders
1260383263.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
LogSettings
1260383263.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
MacroPlay
1260383264.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
NowPlaying
1260383264.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Playback
1260383264.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
QVGAbaseSkin
1260383264.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
QVGAlandscapeSkin
1260383265.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
QVGAportraitSkin
1260383265.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Quit
1260383266.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
ScreenSavers
1260383266.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
Screenshot
1260383266.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SelectPlayer
'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\sqjive.dll'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\../share/jive\sqjive.dll')
'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\sqjive.dll'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\../share/jive\sqjive.dll')
1260383267.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SelectSkin
1260383268.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupAppletInstaller
1260383268.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupDateTime
1260383268.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupLanguage
1260383269.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupNetTest
1260383270.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupSqueezebox
1260383270.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupWallpaper
1260383270.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SetupWelcome
1260383271.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SlimBrowser
1260383275.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SlimDiscovery
1260383276.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SlimMenus
'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\sqjive.dll'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\../share/jive\sqjive.dll')
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Snake
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
SqueezeNetworkPIN
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Test
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
TestSpectrumMeter
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
TestTones
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
TestVUMeter
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
TestVUMeterAnalog
1260383277.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
UdapControl
1260383278.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
WQVGAlargeSkin
1260383278.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering:
WQVGAsmallSkin
1260383278.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :317 Registering: Demo
'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\sqjive.dll'
no file '\Storage Card\run8202\../share/jive\sqjive.dll')
1260383281.000 INFO squeezeplay - :605 select skin: QVGAportraitSkin
Prefetch Abort: Thread=9ebb8d64 Proc=80096e50 'squeezeplay.exe'
AKY=00002001 PC=00000000(???+0x00000000)
RA=0007a2c4(squeezeplay.exe+0x0006a2c4) BVA=00000000 FSR=00000407
Video properties:
display bpp: 16
display width: 240
display height: 320
x pitch: 2
y pitch: 480
gapi flags: 0xa0
video memory: 0x57100000
need update: 1
hi-res fix: 0
VGA is available on the device: 1
use raw framebuffer: 0
video surface bpp: 16
video surface width: 240
video surface height: 320
1260383292.000 INFO applet.SetupLanguage - SetupLanguageApplet.lua:65
locale currently is EN
1260383293.000 INFO squeezebox.server - :691 connected w1it56m
1260383300.000 INFO applet.SetupLanguage -
SetupLanguageApplet.lua:195 Locale choice set to DE
1260383315.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupLanguage
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383321.000 INFO applet.SelectPlayer - SelectPlayerApplet.lua:248
select player item: Player {Work}
1260383321.000 INFO applet.SlimDiscovery -
SlimDiscoveryApplet.lua:623 selected Work
1260383321.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SlimDiscovery
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SelectPlayer - SelectPlayerApplet.lua:248
select player item: Player {Work}
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SlimDiscovery -
SlimDiscoveryApplet.lua:623 selected Work
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:1028
SlimMenusApplet:notify_playerCurrent(Player {Work})
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:1090 No
server, Fetching initial server, SlimServer {w1it56m}
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:1105
player changed from:false to Player {Work} for server: SlimServer
{w1it56m} from server: SlimServer {w1it56m}
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:1113
Subscribing to /slim/menustatus/
00:00:00:00:00:01
1260383327.000 INFO applet.SelectPlayer - SelectPlayerApplet.lua:250
going to setupnext: : function: 00ED0B70
1260383328.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:420
_menuSink(46) SlimServer {w1it56m} menuDirective: nil
isCurrentServer:true
1260383328.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:535
Eliminated myMusic node from server, since now handled locally
1260383329.000 INFO applet.SlimMenus - SlimMenusApplet.lua:692 hiding
any 'connecting to server' popup after menu response from current
server, SlimServer {w1it56m}
1260383330.000 INFO applet.ChooseMusicSource -
ChooseMusicSourceApplet.lua:540 Hiding popup, exists?: nil
1260383334.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383335.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383338.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383345.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383388.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383390.000 INFO squeezeplay.applets - :709 store settings:
SetupWelcome
P (\Storage Card\run8202\lua\jive\AppletManager.lua:711: remove old
file: The operation completed successfully.

)
1260383391.000 WARN net.thread - :146 network thread timeout for
Task(SocketHttp {w1it56m_Request}(R))
1260383442.000 WARN net.thread - :146 network thread timeout for
Task(SocketHttpQueue {w1it56m2}(R))
</code>

rudolf_j
2009-12-09 17:45:12 UTC
Philro;493786 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> i checkedout an older Rev(8175) cause its from the date you had written
> it worked. But same Problem with this Rev. So i tried the 8202 from
> today morning. Same Problem. Here is the Debug Log from Visual Studio
> until the Point where the issue appears. Allways i press the finish
> Button i've got the same Message

This was new code for 7.5 that I simply rewrote without testing (I
still
used my old config files from the last version, so I never went through
the
setup). You might try to step through the method below(this is from
squeezeplay/src/system.c), to see what is wrong. It could be, that just
the return code of rename is wrong.

Lyf

Code:
--------------------

/*
*
*/
static int system_atomic_write(lua_State *L)
{
const char *fname, *fdata;
char *tname;
size_t n, len;
FILE *fp;
#if HAVE_FSYNC && !defined(FSYNC_WORKAROUND_ENABLED)
DIR *dp;
#endif
fname = lua_tostring(L, 2);
fdata = lua_tolstring(L, 3, &len);

tname = alloca(strlen(fname) + 5);
strcpy(tname, fname);
strcat(tname, ".new");

if (!(fp = fopen(tname, "w"))) {
return luaL_error(L, "fopen: %s", strerror(errno));
}

n = 0;
while (n < len) {
n += fwrite(fdata + n, 1, len - n, fp);

if (ferror(fp)) {
fclose(fp);
return luaL_error(L, "fwrite: %s", strerror(errno));
}
}

if (fflush(fp) != 0) {
fclose(fp);
return luaL_error(L, "fflush: %s", strerror(errno));
}
#if HAVE_FSYNC && !defined(FSYNC_WORKAROUND_ENABLED)
if (fsync(fileno(fp)) != 0) {
fclose(fp);
return luaL_error(L, "fsync: %s", strerror(errno));
}
#endif
if (fclose(fp) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "fclose: %s", strerror(errno));
}

#if defined(WIN32)
/* windows systems must delete old file first */
#ifndef _WIN32_WCE
if (_access_s(fname, 0) == 0)
#else
if (wceex_access(fname, 0) == 0)
#endif
{
***************** HERE
if (remove(fname) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "remove old file: %s", strerror(errno));
}
}
#endif
if (rename(tname, fname) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "rename: %s", strerror(errno));
}

#ifdef FSYNC_WORKAROUND_ENABLED
/* sync filesystem if fsync is broken */
sync();
#elif HAVE_FSYNC
if (!(dp = opendir(dirname(tname)))) {
return luaL_error(L, "opendir: %s", strerror(errno));
}

if (fsync(dirfd(dp)) != 0) {
closedir(dp);
return luaL_error(L, "fsync: %s", strerror(errno));
}

if (closedir(dp) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "closedir: %s", strerror(errno));
}
#endif

return 0;
}

--------------------

rudolf_j
2009-12-09 17:50:13 UTC
Philro;493707 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thats exactly the Problem I've got. I tried to connect to my local
> running SqueezeboxServer 7.4 and got all the Players running. The WM
> Squeeze isn't in the list. I choose a Player and got the Screen which
> tolds me all is ready now to browse my libary and then nothing happen. I
> tried all Hardware Keys for short and long press but nothing.
>
> I played yesterday evening a little bit with it and got another issue.
> If the sceensaver is active and i press the "Enter" hardware Button i've
> got the Playlist. If i run things on the Visual Studio Emulator i've got
> the same function on the right Hardware Key. So perhaps the Button
> mapping doesn't function well?

The mappings are definitely wrong, I worked mostly on my Touch HD,
which has no hardware keys. You might have to look in SDL_dibevents.c, I
tried to debug key events once on the emulator, but did not understand
the translation.

Lyf

Philro
2009-12-09 17:59:29 UTC
rudolf_j;493898 Wrote:
> The mappings are definitely wrong, I worked mostly on my Touch HD, which
> has no hardware keys. You might have to look in SDL_dibevents.c, I tried
> to debug key events once on the emulator, but did not understand the
> translation.
>
> Lyf

i will have a look on it tomorrow. In the Emulator the hardware buttons
work as they should but not on my Ipaq.

Any Ideas on the Problem with the finish screen? Or did you mean is
that one and the same Problem?

rudolf_j
2009-12-09 18:15:09 UTC
Philro;493901 Wrote:

> Any Ideas on the Problem with the finish screen? Or did you mean is
> that one and the same Problem?

I answered that two posts above. Probably a problem in atomic_write. I
tried running setup, after deleting the old config files, but the only
option I was offered was to setup receiver, weird.
Regards,
Rudolf

Philro
2009-12-10 07:48:55 UTC
Hi

Sorry, i've overseen your first post. I've got a eye on this and found
the Problem.

Code:
--------------------

if (remove(fname) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "remove old file: %s", strerror(errno));
}

--------------------

It tries to remove a file that doesn't exist and get an error. i
commented this out and now it runs fine

What Skin do you use? My Device got a Resolution of 240x320 so the
QVGAPortrait Skin fits best but i don't have any Controll Buttons. An i
don't cant type for example in the search fields. So it would be the
best Solution to customize the QVGA_SMALL_Skin. Any other ideas?

Greets Phil

Philro
2009-12-10 13:37:58 UTC
Hi,

to comment this out does solve the Problem but generates a new one. You
can't save settings any more. So i rewrite the function to this:

Code:
--------------------

/*
*
*/
[...]

/*{
if (remove(fname) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "remove old file: %s", strerror(errno));
}
}*/
#endif
remove(fname);
if (rename(tname, fname) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "rename: %s", strerror(errno));
}

#ifdef FSYNC_WORKAROUND_ENABLED
/* sync filesystem if fsync is broken */
sync();
#elif HAVE_FSYNC
if (!(dp = opendir(dirname(tname)))) {
return luaL_error(L, "opendir: %s", strerror(errno));
}

if (fsync(dirfd(dp)) != 0) {
closedir(dp);
return luaL_error(L, "fsync: %s", strerror(errno));
}

if (closedir(dp) != 0) {
return luaL_error(L, "closedir: %s", strerror(errno));
}
#endif

return 0;
}

--------------------

i tested it the last hours and it works nice!

I rewrite the WQVGA_SMALL_Skin. It works now in 320x240 Resolution. I
decided to go to landscape view. Later i will post some Screenshots and
the Patch Files. Thanks for help.

Greets Phil

JAD1
2010-01-20 01:53:15 UTC
rudolf_j;411090 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a port of SqueezePlay to Windows Mobile. Today I
> finally got it stable enough. Everything I tested, works (audio playback
> stutters).
> Main problem right now it does not play nice with other apps (redraws,
> even if other apps are in the foreground etc.) start menu is hidden etc.
> No software keyboard support.
>
> Many of the subprojects were already prepared for Windows CE or were
> unproblematic. Still it was a world of pain, to get everything to
> compile and run, as Windows CE has a lot of quirks and limitations.
>
> Most problematic was the memory consumption, as applications can
> effectively use only about 20-24 MB of virtual memory (memory
> fragmentation is a big problem). I had to extend SDL a lot to make it
> run (the Surfaces are now RLE compressed downto 1/2 or even 1/10 of the
> original size)
>
> The build requires Visual Studio 2008 (I am using Professional) and
> the
> Windows Mobile 6 SDK and refresh, should build for WM5 as well).
> I have created new project file to avoid conflicts with the Windows
> builds.
>
> If someone is interested I could send the patches.
>

> One thing I noticed there is no suitable skin for touchscreen only
> devices (I own a Touch HD), missing direction pad for the controller
> skin, and not enough controls on the FullSCreenSkin (volume etc)
> I would like to know, if there is maybe ongoing work in this
> direction.
> If not, I could need some help for designing a new skin, probably is a
> lot of work.
>
> Rudolf

I have a TyTyn II running WM 6.1. I'll probably stick with this until
WM 7 comes out. I'm interested as well.

JAD1
JAD1's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29379
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
lrossouw
2010-02-10 07:01:28 UTC
Hi guys

I think with the updated licensing of SqueezePlay you could possibly
release binaries now?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=74049&page=3

Cheers
Louis

--
lrossouw

Louis
rudolf_j
2010-04-04 16:59:13 UTC
Hi,

sle118 Wrote:

> Is this thread dead?
>
> I am still very interested by this port and would like to contribute.

sorry, for the late answer, was a little busy in the last weeks.

I can provide the binaries. I would like to avoid packing the lua
scripts and the artwork (is that covered by the license at all?).
Maybe we can use the the Windows Squeezeplay as the base.

First I will have to port my patch to the current version (as far as I
see, that is branch 7.6). I do not know how long it will take.

Rudolf

lrossouw
2010-04-05 05:41:24 UTC
rudolf_j;530222 Wrote:
> Hi,
>

> sorry, for the late answer, was a little busy in the last weeks.
>
> I can provide the binaries. I would like to avoid packing the lua
> scripts and the artwork (is that covered by the license at all?).
> Maybe we can use the the Windows Squeezeplay as the base.
>
> First I will have to port my patch to the current version (as far as I
> see, that is branch 7.6). I do not know how long it will take.
>
> Rudolf

Great, thanks Rudolf. Let us know when you get there.

--
lrossouw

Louis
rudolf_j
2010-04-05 18:41:29 UTC
lrossouw;530328 Wrote:
> Great, thanks Rudolf. Let us know when you get there.

Ok, the update to the new code was quite painless (I stayed on the 7.5
branch for now). But unfortunately I cannot reliably test on my WM
phone, WiFi is not really working the connection over ActiveSync is
unreliable.
It started a couple of times, sometimes it crashed the phone.

So if anyone is willing to try, I can send the binaries via eMail or
maybe someone has some webspace? The files are too large for an
attachment (750KB)

The process for getting the Lua/artwork is a little bit harder, the
Squeezeplay nighlty build is somehow build on an older branch, so no
point in using that as a base.

You would have to install TortoiseSVN(http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/)
and grab the code (SVN checkout) with follow URL:
_https://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/src_
Head revision should be ok in the next days, if you want to go safe use
revision 8679.

Apply the patch (in Explorer, Tortoise SVN -> Apply Patch) in the
attached ZIP File, in the main directory (containing Jive.sln).

This is the same process as for building, the patch also contains the C
code patches.

Open a cmd window go to the main directory:

mkdir deploy
cd squeezeplay/VisualC
postbuild deploy

This should gather all LUA files and the images in the deploy folder
(the script changes the current working directory so don't be
confused).

Copy the exe and the DLLs to the deploy folder, then copy the whole
folder to the WM device (e.g. \program files\squeezeplay) start the
exe.
It will take a while (1-2 minutes) to start. If something goes wrong
post the content of the stdout.txt file that is generated next to the
squeezeplay exe.

Rudolf

Philro
2010-04-06 05:48:38 UTC
Hi,

i would be happy to test your files. Could you send me a mail with the
patch?

p.schlarb at schlarb-it.de

how i have to resize the images?

Thanks
Phil

rudolf_j
2010-04-06 19:05:58 UTC
Hi,

I forgot to attach the patch in the last post.
I uploaded the binaries and the patch to a file hoster now.

http://ul.to/l5467x

So if anybody wants to try, grab it.

Rudolf

sle118
2010-04-13 12:37:32 UTC
I successfully completed the necessary steps to launch SqueezePlay on my
good old HTC Universal, which has been collecting dust for a while now.

The first time Squeezeplay launched, I was directed to
"SetupWelcomeApplet", which allowed me to specify the interface
language.

Once the language was selected, the player selection applet was called.
For some reason, it could not detect my server and gave me a PIN to
register in Squeezenetwork. After a bit of research on the
SqueezeNetwork page, I realized that PINs are no longer in use.

So I rebooted my WM phone and connected to my server using Internet
Explorer just to make sure the WiFi connection was correctly setup. I
launched Squeezeplay again and this time, the server was properly
recognized!

Skin selection is picky and may lead to application crash so be careful
with that.

This is as much time as I can put in for today, but this is good
achievement, thanks to the executables and the clear instructions. This
is certainly a terrific addition to my system, which has 2 Receivers, a
Duet controller and a few PC's running Softsqueeze.

My HTC Universal has a resolution of 640x480, so my next efforts will
likely be geared towards customizing a skin that suits my tastes. I
had some issues doing this in the past for the desktop Squeezeplay, so
I hope things will go smooth.

Once again, Rudolf, thank you for initiating this.

--
sle118
sle118's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=35009
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
sle118
2010-04-13 16:08:45 UTC
I am trying various things to see how the port is behaving.

- Playback on WM device: froze my phone on 2 attempts at playing FLAC
files.
- Using Flickr as a screen saver leads to system crashes. I have been
too lazy to get the logs for now.
- Turning power off while in "playing now": as much as I though this
one would kill the program, it actually worked pretty good! The
familiar "connecting to..." (those with a Duet controller will know
what I am talking about) screen showed up until a connection was
established. Works perfectly.
- Screen orientation is locked: trying to change orientation triggers a
GUI redraw that seems to overwrite whatever the OS settings are. I think
that this is how the system should work so: Works perfectly.
- Let the phone go on standby and then power on: Works perfectly (same
as turning power off)
- Wallpapers: wallpapers are too small for my 640x480 resolution and
result in tiling.
- Skin - WQVGA Small Landscape: This is my favorite on the Universal.
Touch interface is quick. Trying
- Skin - WQVGA Large: portrait orientation and truncated screen. Going
back to Skin selection changes the orientation back to landscape, but
navigating is quite painful.
- Skin QVGA portrait: Resolution changes accordingly, but touch
interface becomes unintuitive with only scrolling working and redrawing
is pretty slow (this reminds me of how slow this Phone becomes for
certain resolutions and screen orientations). Button mappings are good
as the front rocking buttons controls well the interface.
- Skin QVGA Landscape : switching from QVGA Portrait to QVGA Landscape
result in a fatal crash "jive_surface_set_video_mode:79
SDL_SetVideoMode(320,240,16): Couldn't initialize GAPI"
- Navigation Keys : they are working well in portrait mode, but should
be rotated in landscape.
- Key mappings: Need to check what keys are mapped. For example, the
volume button triggers a preset.

Anyone else is testing this?

Ideas for implementation:
- Soft mapping of additional hard keys. For example for quickly
changing what player is controlled.

sle118
2010-04-14 13:43:13 UTC
I have started a new Skin for VGA phones: VGASmallSkin, which is based
on WQVGASmallSkin

So far, the skin is replicating WQVGASmallSkin, and some changes were
also made to the clocks so they behave correctly.

The wallpapers are also adjusted for the higher resolution with new
bitmaps resized to 640x480.

rudolf_j
2010-04-18 15:53:00 UTC
Good to hear, that it is working for you, I expected more problems;)

sle118;534303 Wrote:
> I am trying various things to see how the port is behaving.
>
> - Playback on WM device: froze my phone on 2 attempts at playing FLAC
> files.

Something I forgot to mention, I did not port the FLAC stuff, there
were some problems I did not quite unterstand. As I do not have any
FLAC files, I did not care.

> - Using Flickr as a screen saver leads to system crashes. I have been
> too lazy to get the logs for now.

Probably memory, see below.

> - Turning power off while in "playing now": as much as I though this
> one would kill the program, it actually worked pretty good! The
> familiar "connecting to..." (those with a Duet controller will know
> what I am talking about) screen showed up until a connection was
> established. Works perfectly.
> - Screen orientation is locked: trying to change orientation triggers a
> GUI redraw that seems to overwrite whatever the OS settings are. I think
> that this is how the system should work so: Works perfectly.
> - Let the phone go on standby and then power on: Works perfectly (same
> as turning power off)
> - Wallpapers: wallpapers are too small for my 640x480 resolution and
> result in tiling.
> - Skin - WQVGA Small Landscape: This is my favorite on the Universal.
> Touch interface is quick. Trying
> - Skin - WQVGA Large: portrait orientation and truncated screen. Going
> back to Skin selection changes the orientation back to landscape, but
> navigating is quite painful.
> - Skin QVGA portrait: Resolution changes accordingly, but touch
> interface becomes unintuitive with only scrolling working and redrawing
> is pretty slow (this reminds me of how slow this Phone becomes for
> certain resolutions and screen orientations). Button mappings are good
> as the front rocking buttons controls well the interface.
> - Skin QVGA Landscape : switching from QVGA Portrait to QVGA Landscape
> result in a fatal crash "jive_surface_set_video_mode:79
> SDL_SetVideoMode(320,240,16): Couldn't initialize GAPI"

CHanging Skins did not work for me most of the time because of the
memory.

> - Navigation Keys : they are working well in portrait mode, but should
> be rotated in landscape.
> - Key mappings: Need to check what keys are mapped. For example, the
> volume button triggers a preset.

As I said before, my Touch HD does not have many hardware buttons, on
the simulator, the navigation behaved very weird.

> This application eats memory like crazy... fragmentation?
>
> Since I increased the artwork size in the now playing, the started
> crashing after a certain period of time... so I had to free up some
> resources on my RAM limited device. I also had to tweak the volume
> slider properties and allow jumps with a bigger timer to avoid
> potential volume accident.

Yes Fragmentation is a big problem, Windows CE has a crappy memory
model, as I already often complained in this thread. It was a close
call making it work at all. In the latest version Logitech added an
improved memory management for images, I hoped this would solve the
problem totally. But probably the default limit is too high for WM, as
it has a lot less memory than the SB Touch. I will try to tweak in the
next build.

> I love using the touch interface as it enhances the navigation
> experience.

Definitely.

Rudolf

hanahal
2010-04-28 19:18:26 UTC
I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.5.5. I would be
interested in trying/testing your application. Is there somewhere I can
download a compiled version in CAB or MSI format?

Thanks

--
hanahal
hanahal's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37819
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
bakker_be
2010-05-01 19:27:52 UTC
Just a question: is this app supposed to play music on the PDA too, or
is it just another way of controlling other players?
If it should play music on the PDA it isn't working for me, otherwise
it's working just fine.
There's only 1 thing I consider as a bug: tapping the "Quit"-button
doesn't do a thing, so I have to reset my HP iPaq 214 when I need other
functions ;)

--
bakker_be

http://www.last.fm/user/Bakker_be
bakker_be's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30369
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
rudolf_j
2010-05-03 18:24:43 UTC
bakker_be;542367 Wrote:
> Just a question: is this app supposed to play music on the PDA too, or
> is it just another way of controlling other players?
> If it should play music on the PDA it isn't working for me, otherwise
> it's working just fine.
> > > >
> > It should play music, but this is far from reliable. What happens if
> > you the PDA as a player? Did you try MP3. FLAC won't work, and I am not
> > sure I have tested WMA in the last version.
> > > >
> There's only 1 thing I consider as a bug: tapping the "Quit"-button
> doesn't do a thing, so I have to reset my HP iPaq 214 when I need
> other functions ;)
I fixed that in an earlier version, probably I lost the fix somehow.
I will try to correct sometime in the future.

Rudolf

bakker_be
2010-05-04 18:56:19 UTC
When I use the PDA as a player, nothing really "happens". It's just that
I don't get any sound out of it, not with MP3 at least, FLAC I didn't
try as that was already clear it doesn't work (yet;)) I don't have any
WMA.

ypiggy
2010-05-11 07:02:36 UTC
thanks for rudolf's work.

i download your bin package and checkout the LUA scripts in deploy
folder.

put them on my HTC Touch HD(WM6.1) and Asus A636(WM5/WM6.1)
but after black screen and any tap action ,
the program quits .

would you like give some suguestion to run it on .

attatched is the stdout.txt

|Filename: stdout.txt |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9901|

ypiggy
ypiggy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38014
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
konrad_m
2010-07-18 15:38:19 UTC
Hi,

the binary package is not available anymore, can someone please repost
it or send to me via email?

Thanks

Konrad

--
konrad_m
konrad_m's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=39325
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925
rudolf_j
2010-07-19 18:42:28 UTC
konrad_m;562566 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the binary package is not available anymore, can someone please repost
> it or send to me via email?

Hi,

sorry my account on the file hosting service expired.

In the mean time I got myself a new machine, in the process of moving
I deleted the zips (not the source).
My development environment for the Windows Mobile stuff is not quite
working yet, some problem with include files. Hopefully I can fix it in
the next days.

So if somebody still has the archives, would be nice, if he could
upload them.

Rudolf

rudolf_j
2010-07-19 18:33:40 UTC
ypiggy;545376 Wrote:
> thanks for rudolf's work.
>
> i download your bin package and checkout the LUA scripts in deploy
> folder.
>
> put them on my HTC Touch HD(WM6.1) and Asus A636(WM5/WM6.1)
> but after black screen and any tap action ,
> the program quits .
>
> would you like give some suguestion to run it on .
>
> attatched is the stdout.txt

Hi,

sorry for the extremely late reply, I overlooked your post. I never saw
this error before. And honestly have no clue what is wrong. Did you
solve it by now?

Which Subversion revision did you use as base for the lua scripts?

RUdolf

rudolf_j
2010-05-03 18:21:46 UTC
hanahal;541420 Wrote:
> I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.5.5. I would be
> interested in trying/testing your application. Is there somewhere I can
> download a compiled version in CAB or MSI format?
>
> Thanks

I won't build one. As far as I see, there is no sane way to create an
installer with the Visual Studio Tool. I do not have the time to play
around with other programs.

Rudolf

sle118
2010-03-09 21:42:45 UTC
JAD1;508360 Wrote:
> I have a TyTyn II running WM 6.1. I'll probably stick with this until WM
> 7 comes out. I'm interested as well.

I would like to build the port as well and have compiler access.

sle118
2010-03-26 15:40:17 UTC
rudolf_j;411090 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a port of SqueezePlay to Windows Mobile. Today I
> finally got it stable enough. Everything I tested, works (audio
> playback stutters).
> Main problem right now it does not play nice with other apps (redraws,
> even if other apps are in the foreground etc.) start menu is hidden
> etc. No software keyboard support.
>
> Many of the subprojects were already prepared for Windows CE or were
> unproblematic. Still it was a world of pain, to get everything to
> compile and run, as Windows CE has a lot of quirks and limitations.
>
> Most problematic was the memory consumption, as applications can
> effectively use only about 20-24 MB of virtual memory (memory
> fragmentation is a big problem). I had to extend SDL a lot to make it
> run (the Surfaces are now RLE compressed downto 1/2 or even 1/10 of the
> original size)
>
> The build requires Visual Studio 2008 (I am using Professional) and
> the
> Windows Mobile 6 SDK and refresh, should build for WM5 as well).
> I have created new project file to avoid conflicts with the Windows
> builds.
>
> If someone is interested I could send the patches.
>

> One thing I noticed there is no suitable skin for touchscreen only
> devices (I own a Touch HD), missing direction pad for the controller
> skin, and not enough controls on the FullSCreenSkin (volume etc)
> I would like to know, if there is maybe ongoing work in this
> direction.
> If not, I could need some help for designing a new skin, probably is a
> lot of work.
>
> Rudolf

Is this thread dead?

I am still very interested by this port and would like to contribute.

Thank you!